How to behave in dk if you suspect a cat is lost

Hi everybody, and thanks for reading my english. Me, my girfriend and my cat moved from Italy 3 years ago and work as architects in Copenhagen. Actually the cat is jobless but he is ok with it.
His name is Elmo and he is a though one, the kind of cat that when he decides it’s time to play he stares at me ominously and meows aloud.

I’m writing here because a friend of mine was in a parking lot close to Dyrehaven and found this beautiful cat, too beautiful to be a stray cat. No tags, no collar. He called me to know what to do, but then decided to leave it there, cause it seemed ok and probably coming from some house in the neighbourhood (Klampenborg). What is the best thing to do in Denmark in a similar situation? Take the cat to a vet and check if he has a microchip? Do you have to pay for that? And what if you do that, then you find he doesn’t have the chip and you don’t want to adopt the cat?

Thanks for any answer

1 Synes om

A lot of people let their cats roam freely although many advice against it. So if the cat is in a good condition, it probably isn’t a stray. If your friend sees it again , he can check for ear tattoo markings. The more responsible cat owners would get either a tattoo or a chip, some get both to be safe. However the law in Denmark does not require cat owners to register or mark their cats.

However your friend can keep an eye out for it if he frequently is in that area. If the cat starts losing weight, looks worse for wear ect. he can take it to a vet and check for chip. I don’t know if he needs to pay for it though, as I never done it myself.

4 Synes om

And for the last part of your question - you wouldn’t be expected to keep the cat if it turns out not to be chipped. You could leave it with a shelter. The shelter would probably put the cat on their website and wait for a while in case an owner would show up. If no owner turns up, and the cat is healthy, it would then be put up for adoption. It would also be spayed or neutered and vaccinated.

The problem for many shelters is that they are often full beyond capacity. Especially in the summer = kitten season.

2 Synes om

Be aware your friend can’t feed it (shouldn’t admit to it :wink: ) as that is considered to be claiming ownership/responsibility for it

1 Synes om

Thanks for your replies my friends! I will know the next time.
Also, I checked repeatedly a couple of very active facebook groups (Efterlyste Katte and Kette Efterlysning) and didn’t see that specific cat. Hope it will be fine :slight_smile:
Thanks again!

3 Synes om

Facebooks are alright to check, but remember to check these places as well :
https://www.dyrenesbeskyttelse.dk/efterlyste-dyr
https://kattens-vaern.dk/efterlysning-intro

2 Synes om